Saturday, August 7, 2010

Catching up #3

Friday:

Today We were bringing Kristine and Micah with us back to Härnösand, but first Kathryn's aunt and uncle wanted to bring us out to a pretty place by the ocean.
It was quite a hike, but it was definitely worth it.
Kristine lay down on the same spot her mother used to tan some 100 years earlier or so. You could still see the indentation. :)
After that we went sight-seeing. We saw some old farm-equipmen. Maybe Dave would like to get some spare-parts for his car from this beautiful Volvo. and then we went to see an old masugn, which leads us to today's question. What is a Masugn?
This thing hadn't been running for a long time, but it was still in pretty decent shape considering that it was about 400 years old. Never mind Karin's brother's bare upper body... he doesn't believe in shirts... :)
We made a quick stop at Kathryn and Kristine's grand-uncle and his wife, and then we went to Skatan for the big good-bye. Micah told them no gang-signs when taking the pictures, but I think they got one through anyways...
In the evening we were invited to Bob and Marja-Leena, a very nice family in Härnösand.

They were grilling, and we were ready to get stuffed :)
The food was beyond delicious, and we ate way too much. There was a selection of beer that made Micah happy, and I got to drink a very delicious chili-mandarin hard cider.
After that I kicked some butt in Kubb, a fun traditional Swedish game that has recently become a hit in the US :)
Mom made a lemon pie with ice-cream that I ordered, and we're bringing the recipe back.

10 comments:

pd844 said...

It is a furnace that would run on ore that would found in the nearby hills.

This should not be confused with the swedish rock band that bears the same name (founded in 2005)

Anonymous said...

Masugn, (ibland även kallad hytta, se detta uppslagsord för vidare förklaring), schaktugn för framställning av smält råjärn (tackjärn) genom reduktion av järnmalm med kol, numera i form av koks. Tidigare användes främst träkol som bränsle. Reduktion av järnmalm till smält järn med kol är värmekrävande, och i blästermasugnar erhålls värmen för reduktionen och smältningen genom förbränning av kol. I elektriska masugnar erhålls värmen däremot genom tillförsel av el.

Deal with it!!!

DotDotDotSteve said...

I agree with Denise no one said the answers had to be in English

Masugn, (ibland även kallad hytta, se detta uppslagsord för vidare förklaring), schaktugn för framställning av smält råjärn (tackjärn) genom reduktion av järnmalm med kol, numera i form av koks. Tidigare användes främst träkol som bränsle. Reduktion av järnmalm till smält järn med kol är värmekrävande, och i blästermasugnar erhålls värmen för reduktionen och smältningen genom förbränning av kol. I elektriska masugnar erhålls värmen däremot genom tillförsel av el.

I vissa länder med stor tillgång på billig träkol (ex. Brasilien) används dock träkolsmasugnar fortfarande vid sidan av koksmasugnar.

Unknown said...

Literal translation "blast" so a furnace would seem right. - Nicholas

Anonymous said...

En människa har fötts så många män. Han dör eftersom endast en.

Nana said...

masugn is a blast furnshaft furnace to produce molten pig iron (pig iron) by reduction of iron ore, coal, now in the form of coke. Previously used mainly charcoal as fuel. Reduction of iron ore into molten iron with carbon is heat-consuming, and in blästermasugnar obtained for heat reduction and melting on the combustion of coal.

Nana said...

We are all gonna be so smart by the time they come back and fat from eating all the candy, yum, yum. lol

Anonymous said...

I have 2 points. Is that enough for a piece of lemon pie with ice-cream? :-) LC

Anonymous said...

Hey I moved up a point! Maybe I get one Swedish fish.

Judywoo-dee said...

http://thebubble.msn.com/#/video/?id=99aab6c2-5713-4502-a8c2-6e75e580dcad


THIS explain everything!!! Must be some kind of allergic reaction or intestinal virus!